Office of Research, Innovation & Commercialization (ORIC) is functioning at the University of Karachi. ORIC was established at the University in 2013 with the approval of the syndicate, under the guidelines of the Higher Education Commission (HEC), Islamabad for all Universities/DAIs of Pakistan to establish “Offices of Research, Innovation & Commercialization (ORIC)”.
In view of the significant increase in the number of post-graduate students involved in research, enhancement in research projects, increase in publications and the enhanced possibility of commercialization of research; it is equally important to build up the capacity of the academic institutions of the University of Karachi to manage all research-related activities. ORIC University of Karachi will positively set the pace to match up to the challenges in the field of Research and Innovation. ORIC University of Karachi provides end-to-end services for all matters pertaining to research and development, innovation, inventions, commercialization, patents, collaborations, and for arranging seminars/symposium/ conferences/ workshops, etc. By and large Office of Research, Innovation & Commercialization (ORIC) is the pivotal point for all research related activities of the University.
To promote and strengthen the research culture in all disciplines of UOK to bring it at par with other institutions of higher learning within the country and abroad and maintain the highest standards of research by both students and faculty. To positively contribute in developing research leadership to play their singular role in transforming the economic focus of the country through internationally-recognized research outcomes
The aim of the Office of Research, Innovation and Commercialization (ORIC) is to develop, expand, enhance and manage the university’s research programs and to link research activities directly to the educational, social and economic priorities of the university and its broader community. The ORIC is also responsible for assuring that the quality of research reflects the highest international standards and advances the stature of the university among the world’s best research institutions.In pursuit of this mission the ORIC has the responsibility of guaranteeing that all research programs and policies reflect the core values of academic freedom, professional integrity and ethical conduct and full compliance with all policies, legal requirements and operational standards of the university.
To facilitate the research culture that guarantee success in research and development and increase the university’s volume and efficiency.Similarly relize above –mentioned objectives by:
- Represent the university’s interests in research and development,
- Coordinate development projects and competitions in the university,
- Administer databases for research and development, which is essential for the management of the university, to undertake related analyses,
- Disseminate information on research and development and related funding opportunities,
- Consult applicants for R&D projects and of the participants in such projects, and manage related contracts,
- Organize reporting on research and development activities.
- Identify research opportunities for faculty members
- Facilitate faculty to apply for research grants
- Provide legal, administrative and financial management support of research grants
- Support commercialization, licensing etc, of the university research products
- Encourage the publishing of the subject journals
- Develop focal point for all the research related works in connection with funds/liaison with the funding agencies
- Support in patent filing
- Identify new ways and opportunities of collaborations.
- Create awareness regarding the ongoing research in UOK and also encouraging University-Industry linkages
- Arrange Training and Development programs in the form of workshops, seminars, Symposiums etc
In the light of above-mentioned functions/activities, ORIC is responsible for providing assistance and guidance to the faculty members/PhD scholars in the research projects and also responsible to interact with Higher Education Commission, Islamabad, and other funding/donor agencies in connection to above listed functions/activities.